Strip Cut refers to shredding of the document vertically only. The IDEAL standard width of a strip is 4mm. An A4 page will get stripped into 53 pieces.
Cross Cut refers to shredding of the document both vertically (into strips) and horizontally into pieces 4cm long. An A4 page will get cross cut into 400 pieces
- Cross Cut shredding offers 7.5 times greater security for shredded information than Strip Cut does.
- The DIN 66399 Standard for the destruction of data defines security levels for the protection of data once shredded.
- Shred Cut documents qualify under P-2, where documents are rendered illegible.
- Cross Cut documents (4*40) qualify under P-4, which is recommended where data contains especially sensitive and confidential information.
- With the implementation of the POPI Act towards the end of 2017, each company will need to establish an appropriate policy for the safe destruction of all personal information of employees, clients and the public at large that is in the company’s possession. It will be the responsibility of the Directors ultimately to enforce the fulfillment of this policy.
Performance in sheets
A Shredder motor requires greater power to shred documents through a Cross Cut Head as compared to a Strip Cut Head. This results in a lower capacity of sheets being shredded by a Cross Cut shredder. So a 390 Watt motor will be able to process the following maximum number of 80gram sheets at one time :
Strip Cut : 18 Cross Cut : 13
Wear and Tear
Cross Cut Shredders will work considerably harder than Strip Cut machines, which has the potential to tire out a Cross Cut machine sooner than their Strip Cut equivalent. However wear and tear will be of little concern, if one invests in an IDEAL shredder. IDEAL shredders are manufactured in Germany. The Cutting heads are made from the strongest Solingen steel and have a lifetime guarantee. The motors and gears are engineered with the precision for which the Germans are renown. IDEAL shredders are both a workhorse and a thoroughbred. Love them and service them annually and they will consistently do their job to your satisfaction.
Shredder Waste Storage Capacity
The Cross Cut pieces settle significantly more compactly in the collection bin than Strip cuts do. The effect of this is that one can shred many more pages using a cross cut machine before having to empty the bin. Shredded Strip Cut pieces periodically need to be squashed down in the bin manually to compact this waste paper, to maximize the bin capacity. This is not required for a Cross Cut machine.
Whatever your Shredding needs Maynards Office Technology will provide
The IDEAL solution